Training & Awards for Boy Scout Troop Leaders
| For available
see our Events and
Welcome to Scouting! As a new Boy Scout volunteer you are joining our Scouting family, & we want you to understand how the program works. The BSA is committed to your success as a volunteer while serving young people. To help you be successful there are training courses designed for each level of the program you are involved with.
The training courses needed to be considered trained for your position are listed below. To find a location where & when these courses are available, as well as fliers, registration forms or online registration, please visit the Training Events/Fliers Page of this website.
What Makes a Trained Leader? - What every registered Adult Leader needs to be considered "Basic Trained for their position"
Basic Training Course Requirements - Codes for District & Council Trainers
Top Leader Trained Date Course Criteria - Document For District & Council Trainers
What Makes a Trained Boy Scout Leader?
SCOUTMASTERS & ASSISTANT SCOUTMASTERS are considered trained when they have completed:
- SM/ASM Leader Specific Training
- Outdoor Leader Skills Training
- Youth Protection Training - Available in English or Spanish at My.Scouting. This training is designed to allow you to create as safe an environment as possible for the Scouts in our program's activities.
- Fast Start Orientation - Suggested but not required - Fast Start is available at My.Scouting.
- This is Scouting - - Suggested but not required -This is Scouting is available at My.Scouting.
After completing these courses, registered SMs or ASMs may wear the trained strip on their uniforms.
AWARDS FOR SCOUTMASTERS & ASST. SCOUTMASTERS
Scoutmaster Progress Record for the Scoutmaster's Key - Scoutmaster's Key Award
Unit Leader Award of Merit - Can be earned by the Scoutmaster. (Unit Leader) This award replaces the former Scoutmaster Award of Merit & is a fillable form that can be downloaded & saved to your computer
TROOP COMMITTEE MEMBERS are considered trained when they have completed:
1. Fast Start Orientation - Suggested but not required - Fast Start is available at MyScouting.
2. This is Scouting - Suggested but not required - This is Scouting is available at MyScouting.
3. Troop Committee Challenge Training - Troop Committee Challenge is available at MyScouting. (Chartered Organization Representatives, instead, take Chartered Organization Rep Training, to fulfill their 'Position Specific' requirement.)
4. Youth Protection Training - Available in English or Spanish at MyScouting. This training is designed to allow you to create as safe an environment as possible for the Scouts in our program's activities.
After completing these courses, registered members of Committee may wear the trained strip on their uniforms.
AWARD FOR TROOP COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Progress Record for the Boy Scout Leader's Training Award - Boy Scout Leader's Award