Thank you for agreeing to serve as a Scouting leader. To become officially registered with the Boy Scouts of America you must complete our Youth Protection training course. Please complete this training before you attend your first leaders meeting, and bring a copy of your completion certificate with you.
As a new leader, here are the steps you can take to complete the online version of the training. You do not have to be a registered member or have a member ID to take Youth Protection training, but you will need to set up a MyScouting account online:
- Go to the My Scouting tab at the top of the www.threefirescouncil.org website and click on the MyScouting tab.
- Click on “Create an account.”
- Enter a user name and then click “Check User Name Availability.” If the user name is available, click “Next” or enter a different user name.
- Click “I am new and don’t know my member ID” and then click “Next.”
- Complete the profile information screen and then click “Create User.”
- Select your security questions, enter the answers, and then click OK.
- To complete account activation, click the link in the e-mail response you will receive shortly. If you do not receive the e-mail, check your junk e-mail folder or any alternate inbox to which your Internet provider directs spam e-mail.
- Click on the link in the e-mail and then enter and confirm your password.
- Log on to MyScouting, and from the menu on the left, click “E-Learning.” From the “General” tab, scroll down to Youth Protection training and click “Take Course.”
- Upon completion, print a certificate of completion to submit with your volunteer application or submit the completion certificate to the unit leader for processing at the local council.
When your volunteer application is approved, you will receive a BSA membership card which includes your member ID number. After you receive your membership card, log back into MyScouting, click on “My Profile,” and update the system by inputting your member ID number. This will link your Youth Protection training records, and any other training, in MyScouting to your BSA membership record.
Info Page on Taking Youth Protection Training through MyScouting
Info Page on Youth Protection Training and Unit Charter Renewal
You can log back into your account through the MyScouting tab on www.threefirescouncil.org , www.scouting.org , or www.my.scouting.org and take the next three courses to complete your training. They are listed in the recommended order.
- Fast Start
- This Is Scouting
- Position-Specific Training