Youth Protection Guidlines
Youth Protection Training Requirement
Effective May 1, 2016
“Every boy deserves a trained leader,” is a well-known phrase among veteran Scouters. The Three Fires Council takes the physical and emotional safety and well-being of our youth seriously. The need to have every registered adult mindful of the BSA's Youth Protection guidelines is essential to providing a safe and productive program.
All adult leader applications must be accompanied by a copy of the Youth Protection Training (YPT) certificate. This includes new applicants, transfers, and multiple positions. Applications received without a YPT certificate will be held for 30 days for processing. If a YPT certificate is not received within 30 days, the application will need to be resubmitted.
In April, August, and December, the Youth Protection Training status of all adult members will be reviewed. YPT expires every 24 months from date of completion. If records on My.Scouting.org show YPT is missing or expired, an email notice will be sent to adults impacted. Failure to bring YPT current within 30 days of notice will result in the expiration of membership.
If an adult leader receives an email notice, and believes they have completed the training, they should follow these steps:
- Have your unit leader or committee chair login to My.Scouting.org to check your unit's YPT training. If you are listed as current, then no further action should be required.
- If you have completed the training within the past year and it's not showing on My.Scouting.org send a copy of the completion certificate to and your record will be updated.
If an adult leader needs to complete the Youth Protection Training follow these steps:
- Login to My.Scouting.org;
- In the upper right corner choose "Click here to Take Training"
- If you are a volunteer leader for:
Pack, Troop or Team: complete Youth Protection Training (Y01)
Crew: complete Venturing Youth Protection Training (Y02)
If a volunteer leader is registered in both a Venturing Crew and a Pack, Troop or Team, they will need to be current for both YPT trainings (Y01 and Y02).
District/Council volunteer: complete Youth Protection Training (Y01)